RWTH Aachen University offers a summer research program to highly qualified students titled the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program or UROP International. This 10-week-long program (typically mid May through mid July) is specifically designed for students to gain hands-on experience in research at RWTH Aachen University for the summer term. Students will be able to conduct their own research projects, allowing the chance to determine how research can be implemented into the rest of their college careers and future.
The program offers projects in a range of research fields. The Summer 2022 UROP Research Project list is currently available; the upcoming summer research list is typically made available in November. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in German language training and workshops on intercultural and research-related issues as well as leisure activities which will help to complete a truly international experience. The language of the lab is English so German is not required for this research placement, however having the German langauge workshop will be useful for daily life in Germany.
For more information, please visit the UROP International website.
- Second or third year students in all disciplines of the Swanson School of Engineering, and those in Life Sciences within the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, who have completed at least 2 semesters of university-level academics are encouraged to apply.
- A minimum 3.2 GPA is required. It is recommended that students have a GPA that matches their determination to succeed in a research setting.
- Applicants are not required to have German language experience, though some exposure or basic German skills will be helpful. The working language will be English.
Costs: Please visit the UROP International page which includes a section on fees and scholarships. Remember that your lifestyle and spending choices can greatly affect the amount of money you'll need while abroad. Visit our Budgeting page for more information.
Please apply to Pitt's online application and at the same time finish the application on UROP International's website.
In addition to applying to Pitt study abroad, and submitting the Pitt application materials, you must also submit an application and additional application documents DIRECTLY to the UROP International Program. Pitt's application deadline for this program is Jan 10, 2022. UROP International typically has a similar deadline of mid- Jan. but please check their website to confirm.
Any questions, pleae contact: Alicia Olalde, SSOE Global Experiences Office.
Please note, UROP International typically requires:
- Letter of reference from faculty
- Unoffical transcript
- Statement of interest for project (1 page description of which project you are most interested in. Please describe why you are interested in this project including what experience you bring to the project.)
Please keep in mind the following dates:
- Pitt's Application deadline: Jan. 11, 2022
- UROP International's deadline- Check their website to confirm
- Pitt's Mandatory Program Agreement meeting -TBD
- Program start and end date: Check with provider (typically mid May through mid/late July)
Konnichiwa! After working for the JET program in Japan for just over two years, I decided to pursue a career in international education. I returned to the US via a few months of travel -slowing making my way west with many stops in stunning locations and with amazing people. Whenever possible, I continue to love exploring new countries and cultures! I have been fortunate to work both as an administrator and as a classroom educator in higher education; my areas of interest are international, adult and comparative education. I enjoy assisting engineering students seize international opportunities! Reach out to me at email@example.com!