RWTH Aachen University offers a summer research program to highly qualified students titled the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program or UROP International. This 10-week-long program (typically mid May through mid July) is specifically designed for students to gain hands-on experience in research at RWTH Aachen University for the summer term. Students will be able to conduct their own research projects, allowing the chance to determine how research can be implemented into the rest of their college careers and future.
The program offers projects in a range of research fields. The Summer 2023 UROP Research Project list is currently available; the upcoming summer research list is typically made available in November. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in German language training and workshops on intercultural and research-related issues as well as leisure activities which will help to complete a truly international experience. The language of the lab is English so German is not required for this research placement, however having the German langauge workshop will be useful for daily life in Germany.
For more information, please visit the UROP International website.
- Second or third year students in all disciplines of the Swanson School of Engineering, and those in Life Sciences within the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, who have completed at least 2 semesters of university-level academics are encouraged to apply.
- A minimum 3.2 GPA is required. It is recommended that students have a GPA that matches their determination to succeed in a research setting.
- Applicants are not required to have German language experience, though some exposure or basic German skills will be helpful. The working language will be English.
Check out this video about UROP International Summer Research program at RTWH Aachen!
Costs: Please visit the UROP International page which includes a section on fees and scholarships. Remember that your lifestyle and spending choices can greatly affect the amount of money you'll need while abroad. Visit our Budgeting page for more information.
Please apply to Pitt's online application and at the same time complete the application on UROP International's website.
In addition to applying to Pitt study abroad, and submitting the Pitt application materials, you must also submit an application and additional application documents DIRECTLY to the UROP International Program. Pitt's application deadline for this program is January 9, 2023. UROP International deadline is January 9, 2023. Please check their website to confirm.
Any questions, please contact: Alicia Olalde, SSOE Global Experiences Office.
Please note, UROP International typically requires:
- Letter of reference from faculty
- Unofficial transcript
- Letter of motivation for project (1 page description of which project you are most interested in. Please describe why you are interested in this project including what experience you bring to the project. If you are interested in two different projects, please include separate letters of motivation.)
Please keep in mind the following dates:
- Pitt's Application deadline: January 9, 2023
- UROP International's deadline- January 9, 2023
- Pitt's mandatory program agreement meeting -TBD
Program start and end date:
Student arrival date - May 12, 2023
First day of program - May 15, 2023
Last day of program - July 21, 2023
Student departure date - July 22, 2023
Hi! My name is Chandra, and I am a Global and Engineering Professional Development Consultant in the Swanson School of Engineering. My professional background is in communications and policy, but I have been lucky enough to study or work in England, Scotland, France, and Belgium. Please contact me if you are interested in global research, co-op, or internship opportunities as well as the Global Supply Networks program. Let’s discuss all the exciting options you have to see the world during your time at Pitt!
Schedule an appointment
Schedule an appointment with me using Pathways!
- Log in to Pathways or use the Navigate app.
- Select Appointments > Schedule an Appointment
- Select Pitt Global as the Care Unit.
- Select Study Abroad Virtual Advising as the Location
- Select Study Abroad Program Specific Questions as the service
- Select my name and find a time that works for you!
Having trouble or don't see a time that works for you? Just email me!