Quick Info

  • Brighton, United Kingdom
  • Spring, Fall, Year (Fall and Spring)
  • : Exchange
  • : Anthropology and Archaeology, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Communication and Rhetoric, Computing and Information Science, Criminal Justice, Economics, Education, Engineering, English Literature, Environmental Studies, Film and Media Studies, French Language, Literature, and Studies, Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies, German Language, Literature, and Studies, History, History of Art and Architecture, Italian Language, Literature, and Studies, Mathematics, Music, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Physics and Astronomy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Spanish Language, Literature, and Studies, Statistics, Theatre Arts
  • : 9/20/2019 - 12/21/2019
  • : Regular Pitt tuition and fees + living expenses + airfare. See details in Inclusions & Exclusions.
  • : Fall: Friday, 03/22/2019; additional information must also be submitted to this institution directly.
  • : 3.0 GPA, Pitt Students: Must have completed 24 credits on a Pitt campus, Clear Judicial Record


As an exchange student at Sussex, you are able to choose from courses within their full degree programs. You will be taught alongside British and international students taking degree programs, and can select your courses from a wide range of subject areas.  Subjects that are unique to Sussex, and not offered at Pitt, include: American Studies, Biochemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Media Studies, Geography and Zoology.  

For further information on the subjects offered, please visit Sussex's website.  

In terms of total credits that students studying at Sussex should take, please refer to the table below, for credit comparisons.  Therefore, Pitt students studying at Sussex for one term should attempt to enroll in at least 60 Sussex credits to be able to be full-time at Pitt.  

Sussex ECTS US
120 60 30
60 30 15
30 15 8
15 7.5 4

Student Life

Staff in the International Student Support Office at the University of Sussex is dedicated to helping students make the most of their time in Brighton.  They organize events specifically for international students and offer a number of day trips throughout the semester, giving students the opportunity to learn more about the University, Brighton, and other parts of England. The Students' Union at Sussex further enhances university life by providing access to sports clubs and various societies, as well as student-friendly shops and bars on campus.  For a full list of activities, please visit Sussex's student life website and its recreational sports website.  


Many students live off campus in private rented accommodation, mainly in Brighton & Hove. The Housing Office has an online database of available properties, but it cannot arrange your housing for you.

All University accommodation is self-catering, usually with communal kitchens. You will need cutlery, crockery, saucepans and kitchen utensils; it may be more practical to buy these in the UK rather than to bring them with you. You can purchase University catering packs containing cooking utensils and crockery for £30. Bathroom facilities are normally shared, although about 45% of accommodations now have en-suite facilites. Keeping in touch with family and friends is easy as all rooms on campus are equipped with telephones and broadband internet access. The University provides pillows to students in residence. You may wish to purchase a set of quality new bedding (including duvet, duvet cover, bottom sheet, pillow and pillow case and bath-towel), for around £40. 

The University of Sussex aims to help you settle in as smoothly as possible upon your arrival. It is understood that when you first come to the UK, you may feel anxious; however, you can rest assured, as many other students feel the same way and, by living in University accommodation, you will soon get to know your neighbors. To help you settle in, most residences have a live-in residential advisor- an established Sussex student who will help you when you arrive and can assist with minor problems that may crop up.

Housing is only guaranteed for students studying at Sussex for a full year (two semesters), but not for students only studying for a single semester.  For details, please review the following page.  

Pricing And Dates

Arrive in Brighton Depart Brighton
Late January Mid June

Arrive in Brighton Depart Brighton
Mid September Mid December



Keep in mind that dates change.  You shouldn't book airfare until given confirmation from the exchange university.

Inclusions & Exclusions

You will pay regular tuition and fees to the University of Pittsburgh. If you have a tuition scholarship, please check with the entity providing the scholarship to confirm coverage for studying abroad. 

While you will pay Pitt tuition and fees (Student Activity Fee; Wellness Fee; Computer and Network Services Fee; Security, Safety, and Transportation Fee; International Services Fee (if applicable)), keep in mind that you are also responsible for the following:

  • Study Abroad Administrative Fee ($400.00)
  • Deposit ($350, to be credited to your PittPay account)
  • Airfare (roundtrip ~ $1,000-2,000)
  • Visa Fee
  • Room and Board 
  • Meals and personal expenses ($500-$1,000 per month, depending on lifestyle and housing)
  • Books ($100-$300 per semester)

Personal expenses vary with individual students. Wondering about the cost of living? You can review the Sussex website for more information. Remember that your lifestyle and spending choices can greatly affect the amount of money you'll need while abroad.  Visit our budgeting page for more information.

Special Information

Acceptance by Pitt Study Abroad does not guarantee acceptance by the exchange university. 

Insurance: Students visiting the United Kingdom for more than 6 months are no longer entitled to free medical treatment. Students must pay an NHS surcharge of £150 for the year. This is paid at time of visa application.  It is advisable to purchase medical insurance for students staying for less than 6 months. See details here.  Also, there is a Health Centre on campus where doctors and practice nurses are available to see. Students need to register with the Health Centre as soon as possible after arrival at Sussex.

Visa: Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries need a student visa to study in the UK. The type of visa depends on the length of stay, nationality and whether the student wants to work or volunteer.  Those who are studying for 6 months or less will need the Short Term Student Visa, while those who are studying for a full year will need the Tier 4 Visa.  For further details on the two types of visa please visit here.  Sussex encouraged students to contact the immigration advisors at Sussex by emailing them at immigration@sussex.ac.uk, if they should have any questions regarding the visa application.  


Ready to get started on your application?  

Program Staff

Jessica Sun

Walk-In Advising Hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays: 2 - 4 p.m.

Hailing from the great state of Texas, I am the exchange program manager at the Study Abroad Office at Pitt.  I am so excited to be a part of your exchange experience, be it here at Pitt or over at another institution overseas.  I studied abroad in Tuscany, Italy, while I was in school and absolutely loved all the experiences that came with exploring fresh pasta, Renaissance art and new experiences.  I certainly hope that you will love your exchange experience just as much wherever you choose.  Outside of the office, I am all about cities, food, art history and tea.  Good eating and traveling!  Let me know if you should have any questions at jessicasun@pitt.edu or at +1 412-383-7165.