This unique program offers students the opportunity to learn Polish at Pitt’s renowned Summer Language Institute in Pittsburgh and abroad in Krakow, Poland. After 6 weeks of language and culture study at Pitt’s Oakland campus, students depart for a 4-week abroad program in Krakow at the Prolog Language School, an institute that boasts cutting edge instructional materials and dedicated, experienced instructors of Polish as a foreign language. In Krakow, students will continue their intensive language classes and be offered an extensive excursion program to sites and events in Krakow with a local guide from Prolog. This program is open to students of Polish at the beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels. All applicants to SLI’s Polish programs are eligible to apply for an SLI Scholarship.
- The equivalent of 1 academic year of Polish language training
- Rapid gain in proficiency in speaking, reading, listening, and writing in Polish
- Deep understanding of Polish culture through hands-on activities centering on film, music, art, movement, and cuisine of Central Europe
- Understanding of cross-cultural communication gleaned through the challenges and rewards of the international living experience
Krakow is the second largest and one of the oldest, most beautiful, and most interesting cities in Poland. It is known for its well-preserved historical architecture going back to the Medieval era. The multitudes of attractions in Krakow include the Old Town, Jewish Quarter, Market Square, Planty Park, and St. Mary’s Basilica. Krakow is a vibrant city during the summer months with numerous attractions and exhibits and endless cafes, shops, and historical corners to explore.
While in Pittsburgh, students may select to live in the dormitories or locate an apartment to sublet. Students are responsible for the cost of housing in Pittsburgh. In Poland, students will live in apartments situated close to the site of classes and the historical center of Krakow. The cost of housing abroad is included in the program cost.
You’ll earn a total of 10 credits during your study of Polish in an intensive and immersive environment. The language learning you achieve will be equivalent to or greater than a full academic year’s worth of foreign language study. You will rapidly improve proficiency in all four language modes: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Privet! I'm Oksana Stalczynski and I'm a Program Manager at the Global Experiences Office. I was born and raised in St. Petersburg, Russia, was an exchange student and Russian Language Scholar at Reed College in Portland, OR and did a summer language program in Dresden, Germany. Global experiences broaden your horizon, grow your circle of friends and improve your career opportunities. That’s why I think everyone should do one!
Feel free to contact me to find out more about global experiences programs at Pitt, and/or to learn/practice some Russian.
- Click here to schedule an appointment with me through Pathways.
- Log into Pathways with your Pitt username and password.
- Select Find Available Time.
- Select the time that works for you.
- Click the schedule button
- You will see a confirms message on the screen. You will also receive a confirmation in your Pitt email.
Don't see a time that works for you? Just send me an email.
SLI programs charge in-state tuition rates to all participants regardless of residency.
Items Billed by Pitt
|Study Abroad Fee||$300|
|Total Billed by Pitt||$9,060|
Estimated Additional Out-of-Pocket Costs
|Airfare||$1,000 - $1,200|
|Personal Expenses and Meals||$1,000|
Remember that your lifestyle and spending choices can greatly affect the amount of money you'll need while abroad. Visit our Budgeting page for more information.
The amounts above are for the 2019-2020 academic year and should be used as estimates only. Pricing for 2020-2021 will be posted and announced in the fall term.
As a part of your program fee, the following are included
- Tuition for ten credits
- Housing during the abroad portion of the program
- International travel health insurance
- Excursion program abroad
- Weekly ethnic picnics and extracurricular activities in Pittsburgh
- Bus pass and access to student facilities (gyms, libraries, etc.) in Pittsburgh
Dates for the 2020-2021 academic year will be posted in the fall!