Skip to Content


  • Loading...

View All

Financial Aid Information

You should begin the study abroad process by outlining and ensuring that expected funding streams can be used for study abroad. This includes determining financial aid eligibility, scholarship eligibility, any available personal funding, or tuition benefits (if applicable). The cost of most study abroad programs is considerably higher than a normal semester on Pitts campus.  If you feel that you will need additional funds, you may wish to investigate alternative education loan programs.   Please visit the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid, located in Alumni Hall, to discuss your particular alternative educational loan eligibility.  Alternative loans include private (not federally subsidized) educational loans, offered by banks and other lending institutions as well as the Parent PLUS Program. You are encouraged to search for scholarship opportunities from a variety of resources.

Financial Aid Eligibility

State, Federal, and campus-based financial aid, with the exception of Federal Work-Study, will in most cases, apply to a student's study abroad experience. Students should meet with a representative within the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid to determine their financial aid eligibility. At this meeting, students who are interested in applying for an alternative educational or Parent Plus loan can discuss their current eligibility with a financial aid representative.  If it is determined that the student will need to borrow more than they are currently eligible for, the student will be given a Study Abroad Budget Worksheet.  This form must be taken to the Study Abroad Office for completion.  If appropriate, meaning that if the Study Abroad Cost of Attendance is higher than the Universitys standard budget for that term(s), the Study Abroad Office will complete the form and forward it to the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.  This form will be used for Stafford, Parent Plus and alternative loan funds only.

The Office of Admissions and Financial Aid & Student Payments Center

You should meet with a financial aid counselor immediately to discuss your situation. Appointments are made by calling 412-624-7488. The Office of Admissions and Financial Aid in Alumni Hall, is open M-F, 8:30am to 4:45pm. Please also visit the Student Payment Center regarding procedures for receiving your current financial aid for the time you are abroad.

Tuition Remission Benefits   

Students who have one or more parent or guardian employed by the University of Pittsburgh or UPMC are only permitted to apply tuition remission benefits to certain programs. Please download the Tuition Remission Applicable Programs brochure for a complete list.

Once a student has identified an applicable program, the faculty or staff member through whom the student will receive the tuition remission benefit should speak with their respective Human Resources Department to have the benefit applied to the student's account. The SAO is unable to obtain this information on behalf a student, faculty or staff member.

Last modified 11/02/2012