Heilbronn University



Heilbronn University was founded in 1961 as a School of Engineering, and 10 years later it reached its current University status specializing in business and informatics. It is located about 10 minutes from the city center by bus, and its residence halls are within five minutes walking distance from campus. This program is for University of Pittsburgh at Bradford students only.

Learning Objectives: 

As an active and engaged participant on this program, you will have the opportunity to develop:

  • the ability to succeed independently in a foreign education environment.
  • non-US based perspectives on your field of study and/or future career path.
  • a global network of peer in similar fields of study and connections with faculty in Germany.
Location Description: 

The city of Heilbronn is a middle-sized city located in the Southwestern state of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is positioned in a region of wine vineyards and the city itself straddles the Neckar River. Heilbronn is conveniently located near the cities of Heidelberg, Stuttgart, and Frankfurt. For the traditional German experience, you could travel even further to Munich, which is located in the Southern state of Bavaria, the home of Oktoberfest. Heilbronn hosts many entertaining festivals throughout the year, making it a great location for students.

Housing Description: 

There are two sets of Residence Halls near the university. However, there is only about a 50% chance of obtaining a room in one of these residences, so finding an apartment is another option that is popular for this program.

Academic Description: 

Students have the opportunity of taking classes from these main areas of study: Business, International Business and Economics, and Hospitality and Tourism. A variety of programs are available within each area, along with a diverse course catalog. It is also a great choice for students with no foreign language background, as a good percentage of the classes are taught in English as well as German, and a few are also taught in French, Spanish, and Arabic. A German language class is required - level will be determined by a placement test.  

Program Fees: 
Pitt students participating on an exchange program will pay regular Pitt tuition and fees, according to their in-state or out-of-state residency status. In addition to the Study Abroad Administrative Fee, this also includes all Mandatory Fees, such as the Student Activity Fee, Wellness Fee, Computing and Network Services Fee, and the Security, Safety, and Transportation Fee.  
Pitt Students on financial aid and/or tuition scholarships will need to consult the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid or respective entity providing the funds to confirm coverage for study abroad. 

Items Billed by Pitt

  In-State Out-of-State
Tuition* $9,314 $16,328
Mandatory Fees $545 $545
Study Abroad Fee $400 $400
Total Billed by Pitt* $10,259 $17,273
*The tuition rate listed is defaulted to reflect the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences. For Pitt students of another Pitt school or campus, the tuition rate will reflect the home school or campus. See posted rates on the Institutional Research page.
How Much To Budget: 

Estimated Additional Out-of-Pocket Costs

Travel Expenses: Airfare, Passport, Visa, Resident Permit  $2,000
Room & Board $3,000 - 5,000
Personal Expenses $1,000 - 5,000
The Estimated Costs reflect information provided by Heilbronn and are reported to OAFA to calculate financial aid packages.The listed costs are defaulted to one semester. Multiply the costs by two for two semesters. Personal expenses vary with individual students. 
Students studying abroad through Pitt Study Abroad are automatically provided health insurance coverage during the official program dates. However, you may need to purchase additional insurance if the exchange university you will attend requires purchase of a specific health insurance coverage per their regulations. It is your responsibility to ensure you know the cost of that insurance prior to committing to the program.

Here is a monthly estimated breakdown of the costs: 

  • Student Residence: 190- 270 Euro
  • Private Accommodation: 250-350 Euro
  • Food: 250-300 Euro
  • Public Transportation: Heilbronns International Students are gifted a public transportation semester ticket, for which they can use all the local buses. This price is normally around 108 Euro
  • Health Insurance: 75-80 Euro
  • Euro Total: 515-730 Euro/month

Personal expenses vary with individual students. Wondering about the cost of living? You can review the Heilbronn website for more information. 

Application Instructions: 

Pitt sends a limited number of students per semester to Kobe. In addition to applying to the Pitt Study Abroad application above, be sure to review Heilbronn regarding their application requirements for incoming exchange students. A formal nomination from Pitt Study Abroad is required for Pitt students to be recognized as an exchange student at Heilbronn. Therefore, Pitt students must complete all necessary Pitt Study Abroad steps in addition to Kobe's requirements. In other words, acceptance by Pitt Study Abroad does not guarantee acceptance by the exchange university.  
The exchange university may require the following to be submitted through an online application. Requirements may include but are not limited to the following:  

  • Application Form 
  • Copy of Valid Passport 
  • Official Pitt Transcript 
  • Official Pitt Verification of Enrollment 
  • Statement of Intent or Purpose 
  • Resume or CV 
  • Official Language Evaluation 
  • Up to 2 instructor letters of recommendations 
  • Up to 2 passport photos 


Insurance Requirements: 

Students studying abroad through Pitt Study Abroad are automatically provided health insurance coverage during the official program dates. However, Germany requires Pitt students to purchase additional coverage through their national health plan. 

Visa Requirements: 

In order to study as a student in specific countries, a visa is required. A visa is formal endorsement by the host country to grant permission for an individual to enter, live or stay in that country for a specific purpose and period. In addition to a visa, some host countries may require a residency permit upon arrival. 


For those without German nationality, students must obtain a student visa to study in Japan. For an overview regarding the visa process, please review Heilbronn's website.  Also, check the German Embassy or consulate closest to you for additional information. 


Heilbronn will provide general direction after formal admission on for how to apply for either the visa and/or residency permit. Pitt students should also research the visa and/or permit process through the specified country consulate website.   


In general visa and/or permit application requirements include but are not limited to the following requirements:  

  • Visa application 
  • Valid Passport 
  • Verification of acceptance from sponsoring university (exchange university) 
  • Financial Documents, such as bank statements, tax documents or pay statements.   
  • Passport photos 
  • Application fee
  • Medical/physical examination (likely to require a doctor's appointment so plan accordingly)