Frequently Asked Questions

You've got questions, we've got answers.  Whether you want to know who can study abroad, how to pay your bill, or where you can get a passport, you'll find the answers you need here.

Don't see what you're looking for?  Stop by the office, give us a call at 412-648-7413, or send us an email to

Do I need vaccinations for my program?

It is your responsibility to determine what vaccines you may or may not need based on where you will be studying and traveling.  Keep in mind that some countries may even require proof of vaccination before allowing entry or issuing visas.  The Study Abroad Office cannot give you advice on vaccines, so you must check with the Centers for Disease Control, Allegheny County Health Department (or your home county’s health department), or your family doctor.


Center's for Disease Control

Allgheny County Health Department


Is the country I want to study abroad in safe?

The US Department of State maintains a comprehensive list of travel alerts and warnings for American citizens overseas. 

The Study Abroad Office has different policies for undergraduates, graduate students, staff, and faculty traveling to countries with active travel warnings.  If you are planning on studying abroad in a country with an active travel warning, read the document below and contact Vanessa Sterling, Associate Director, with any questions or concerns.  


Current Travel Warnings

Down Pitt's Traveling Warning Policy

Do I need health insurance while abroad? How can I get covered?

As a Pitt student studying abroad, you are required to maintain international health insurance, which must include:

  • Health, accident, and hospitalization coverage
  • Medical evacuation coverage
  • Repatriation of remains coverage

Students who are participating on approved programs and who follow Pitt Study Abroad procedures are covered under the University's International SOS Policy.  For more information, contact Vanessa Sterling, Associate Director.

I’m currently on a prescription drug or receiving ongoing treatment. How can I continue this while abroad?

You should speak with your doctor or health care provider and insurance company as soon as possible.  Given that many medications available in the U.S. are not available overseas or only available in different dosages, you should plan on taking a sufficient medication supply to last you the entire duration of your program.