|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Program Type:||Pitt-Recognized Institution||Housing Options:||Dormitory|
|Language Prerequisite:||No prerequisite||Number of Credits:||6|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Program Length:||4 weeks|
|Courses of Study:||Engineering||Minimum GPA:||2.50 (for engineering students only)|
Globex Summer Program - Peking University
The Swanson School of Engineering and Engineering International Programs office is pleased to introduce the Globex Summer Program in Beijing, China. This 4-week (spent in China), 6-credit program provides the opportunity to study a variety of courses including:
• China's Economy: Engineering, Growth and Global Connections
• Interfaces and Plastic Deformations in Materials: From Theory to Engineering
• China Today: Tradition and Modernization
• Smart Materials and Adaptive Systems
• Computational Fluids Dynamics and its application to Multiphase Flows
• Biomaterial and Biocompatibility
• Applied Finite Element Technology
• Machine Learning in Biomedicine
• Basic Concepts and Applications in Nanomedicine
This is a joint study abroad program with Peking University (PKU) in Beijing, China.
The university itself is a major research university and is considered the first established modern university of China. Located in the northwestern part of the city, the university is renowned for its campus grounds due to the beauty of the traditional Chinese architecture. International students are welcomed with over 2,000 students studying here throughout the year.
View courses offered last year: 2013 Globex Summer Courses.pdf
Classes start July 7, 2014. Final exams are scheduled on July 26, 2014.
Swanson School of Engr In-State Tuition Fee for 6 credits: $4,326
Swanson School of Engr Out-of-State Tuition for 6 credits: $7,164
Additional expenses: Pitt administrative fee ($300), international health/medical insurance ($40), on-site accommodation ($975-$1256), meals at PKU cafeteria (~$300), public transportation in the city ($80), internet ($19), Airfare (roundtrip to Beijing) (~$2,000), optional 3-day city tour ($160), visa fee (approx. $140), personal expenses (depends on personal spending habits*).
Click here for a detailed personal expense table from last year: 2013 Globex Summer Expense Table-Final.pdf
Students planning to extend their stay or travel extensively before or after the trip should budget more for personal expenses.
- Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors in all disciplines of the Swanson School of Engineering are encouraged to apply. Additionally, students in the Dietrich School of Arts & Sciences with a strong interest in the subject matter and who have a solid background in physics and math are also welcome to apply.
- A minimum 3.0 GPA for engineering students.
- If you would like to spend any of your last 24 credits abroad, you must also obtain special approval.
Peer Advising/Walk-in hours in 152 Benedum Hall
11-5 Monday and Tuesday
Dr. Kristine Lalley
Director, International Engineering Initiatives
Swanson School of Engineering
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.